Friday, August 29, 2008

Ruffing your ace

Sometimes you have to ruff your ace. On this deal (playing online at OKbridge), I didn't ruff an ace, but I did ruff one of my good tricks (hands rotated):

J 8 4
10 6
K J 8 7 3
K 8 6
6 2 Q 5 3
A Q 8 4 2 K 7 5
A 4 10 9 6 5
A J 9 4 Q 5 3
A K 10 9 7
J 9 3
Q 2
10 7 2


West North East South
1 Pass 2 2
3 3 All Pass

West led the 6, I played the jack and East erred by covering with the queen. I tried the Q, ducked all around, and another. West won his ace, switched to the A and another to East's king.

East now led the 10 and that was ominous. If I discard, West can ruff and I have a club left to lose. Time to ruff your "ace!" I ruffed with my K for maximum style points -- anyone can ruff with the 7.

I was not quite ready to claim, however, because if I drew trump, ending in dummy, I could discard my losing heart and one club, but would have to lead a club away from the king. So, I drew one more round of trump and led my losing heart and ruffed with the 8. I played the K and discarded a club. West didn't ruff! I led the J and East ruffed, I overruffed and led up to the K for my ninth trick. Whew!

Looking back on it, I should have led up to the K instead of ruffing my heart loser. If West wins the A and has the last trump and leads it, I have nine tricks via five spades, three diamonds and one club. That's a better line, obviously, because it doesn't matter who has the last trump.

Making plus 140 was worth 6.37 IMPs. You can read about what everyone else did by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment