Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hurrah for the weak NT

I played at the club Saturday with Brent. We use a Precision Club variant with gadgets and 1NT = 10-12 high-card points in the first three seats non-vulnerable. My running joke with Brent (which he probably gets tired of hearing), is that if I don't get to open at least one weak notrump, I feel shortchanged and will ask for my money back.

There were 8.5 tables in play with an East-West sitout -- that meant we only played 24 boards. On the last round, I hadn't opened a weak notrump and time was running out. Then in second seat, no one vulnerable, I picked up:
A K 10 4 A 6 J 8 7 4 2 6 2.

This obviously isn't a good hand to bid 1NT, but I couldn't resist. Everyone passed and west led the K and this was my dummy:

J 8 7 2
K 5 3
9 6 5
K 5 3
==
A K 10 4
A 6
J 8 7 4 2
6 2


Great, we've missed our 4-4 spade fit because I had to be cute. A spade contract will lose three diamonds, one or two clubs and perhaps one spade, so 2 could go set. Maybe this isn't hopeless after all.

I falsecarded with the 7, but West didn't fall for that. Instead, he made the strange shift to the 3. I decided that he probably had not led from the queen, so to find out where the 9 was, I played the 8. East covered with the 9, and I won the 10.

Now it looked like I could take four spades, two hearts for six tricks, and seven if the ace of clubs was onside. I led a heart to the king to advance the J and right-hand opponent showed out, discarding a heart! I won the ace and exited with a diamond. My LHO won the queen and led the Q to my ace. I continued with another diamond. West showed out and played the 10; RHO won the ace. He cashed two hearts and led a club. West won the ace and I had the rest, making 1NT for plus 90.

Here are all four hands (spots are approximate where immaterial):

J 8 7 2
K 5 3
9 6 5
K 5 3
Q 6 5 3 9
Q 8 2 J 10 9 7 4
K Q A 10 3
A 10 9 8 Q J 9 7
A K 10 4
A 6
J 8 7 4 2
6 2

When I got the scores later, I was surprised to see that we scored a 7 on an 8 top. Then it occurred to me -- they have 8 hearts and 8 clubs and can make 3 and possibly 3 (if we don't get a heart ruff). My crummy bid stole the contract and I guess I got my money's worth afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment