Sunday, May 2, 2010

A tornado crashed my party

At 9:45, Hall and Oates had played two songs, and the party was going strong. Suddenly, there was an announcement that the park was closing and all acts canceled. A storm was headed our way with 50-60 mph winds that included hail -- a tornado had been confirmed somewhere in Arkansas.

At first we wondered if it was some kind of a joke, but it wasn't, and my night was cut short. I had seen Hall and Oates before, but there were other acts I wanted to check out. I mean, what the heck is Alice in Chains?

Earlier in the day it rained, and when I got to the music festival around 4 p.m., the streets were still wet. Here's a view from the bluffs (where I entered Tom Lee Park) that looks to the northwest. You can see what Memphians call the New Bridge that carries I-40 traffic:


Okay, if you want to be picky, it's "real" name is Hernando de Soto Bridge. But don't try to use that name around here as Memphians will peg you for an out-of-town newbie.

If there is a new bridge, shouldn't there be an Old Bridge? If you thought so, you'd be right. If you look Southwest, you see it (I-55 crosses it). To the left of center, you can see one of the big stages.


Because of the rain, there was mud, just like there is every year:



Some wore boots, but some dealt with the mud in another way:


What's up with the hats? It's one big, giant party and anything goes:



Images by MOJO and taken with my P&S.

3 comments:

  1. Everybody looks like they are having a great time regardless of the weather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was watching the weather channel and thought of you for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Coop: the people who go each year plan for the weather. When it started to sprinkle, a bunch of people around me pulled out foldable plastic panchos -- maybe I should get a shot of them?

    @bastin: Thanks.

    ReplyDelete