Friday, October 15, 2010

World bridge competition high tech

At the world bridge competition being concluded in Philadelphia, there were gadgets and gizmos. The computer-generated boards were duplicated across fields, so players in the regular championship played the same deals as those in the Plate competion. BridgeMate wireless scoring devices sent results immediately after each contract was played. Each deal was played behind screens. The tournament also had many impressive flat-panel displays (see here for a photo of some of the smaller ones).

But wait, there's more!

I've just read that in the 2011 world championships, to be held in Eindhoven, Netherlands, they plan to have web cams at each table to record the bidding and play. Spectators will be able to watch any players they wish to see. Maybe if I go play, my mom will watch me. "Hi, Mom!"

You can read more about it if you click here, then click on bulletin #14, then go to the interview on page 18.

3 comments:

  1. I dunno about your Mom, but if you tell how to do it, I'll watch you. And you really should visit the Netherlands...I think that's a priority for you, right?

    Oh, have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jacob: I've traveled across the planet, but for some reason not visited the Netherlands -- a mistake that I'd like to correct. If there's bridge there, too, even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wha? This is the first RSS notification I have received for your blog in a long time. I thought you weren't posting, but now I see you were. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete