Thursday, June 16, 2011

It's "dam" awesome


Hoover Dam is pretty amazing. When it was built, there was nothing that had been done on such a large scale, so the engineers erred on the side of caution - they over-engineered it. Besides being a water source, it provides electricity for many homes and businesses. The lake is also used for recreation.

I didn't take the tour of the dam this time as I got there late in the day (you can see the shadow that shows that), but I recommend it if you haven't taken it.


The last time I went to Hoover Dam was two years ago. They were in early stages of building the new bypass bridge and I was anxious to see it now. Amazing how they can construct things like that.

Along the edge is a pedestrian pathway that I took. It was very windy and some tourists were having trouble. I heard one mother tell her two children that she didn't like heights and didn't want to go any farther.


Lake Mead provides water for Las Vegas as well as farmers in California and homes in Arizona. The white area is where the lake is when it is "full."

No comments:

Post a Comment