Saturday, May 19, 2012

Let me "tell" you something


Playing in the Circuit Event in New Orleans (see image above), I saw this: A player made a standard raise from UTG, and it folded to the big blind who was fairly short stacked. He called. The dealer put the flop out and the big blind checked. The original raiser made his continuation bet, and the big blind went into the tank. After about 20 seconds, the big blind announced, "All in."

The original raiser thought for a while and folded. Then he said, "If you had gone all in faster, I might have called. After the hesitation, no way."

What the original raiser (a good player, see here) meant was that the theatrics were a tell. He concluded that the BB wanted to be called.

What do you think?

I think the secret is to make all bets in the same tempo, but that's something that's very hard to do.

I'm heading to the Horshoe for the weekly 4 p.m. tournament. Good luck me.

Photo taken with my P&S.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why a pro is giving away that information, unless he was just completely weak and was trying to build an excuse for his fold...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris Ferguson might be a Full Tilt Dirtbag, but his continuity of action is something to be admired. When done right, continuity is a hugely important trait - it's why my PFR's are always always always 3XBB, whether I'm Grumping it or I have aces, if I'm UTG or the button. It's always the same. Now if only I could learn to not fall in love with top pair...

    ReplyDelete