Monday, June 3, 2013

It's a jungle out there


I returned from a road trip last week. I was driving west on I-40 between Knoxville TN and Nashville. About one-quarter of a mile ahead of me, a car swerved and then went off the road. Apparently, there was a shoulder drop off. The driver tried to come back on the road too soon and went out of control. He swerved on the road then back off then back on and started spinning around.

I thought he was going to flip, but he moved into the left-hand lane, then into the right all the time spinning around. I had been putting on my brakes, but it wasn't clear if I could stop. Even if I could stop, a big truck was bearing down on me.

Finally he came to a stop in the middle of both lanes. I passed him on the left, half on the highway and half off. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw the truck had to do what I had done, but he was tilting over (the shoulder sloped down). "My god, he's going to flop over," I remember thinking, but he didn't.

I saw another motorist stop. I didn't know what I could do, so kept on truckin'.

Two words: sweaty armpits.

1 comment:

  1. Not so great way to get the juices really flowing.

    He remind you of any people you've played poker against? Looks like he sucked out one more time.

    ReplyDelete