Monday, September 18, 2017

Irma's aftermath

Above: My avocado tree took a beating from Hurricane Irma.

I returned Friday to my Florida home. I'd heard the power was back on, but a Thursday night storm knocked it out again. Finally, Sunday night the electricity came back on, and things are now almost back to normal. With no lights, you use candles, flashlights and go to bed early. I couldn't cook, so peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were common. You learn how to take a quick shower when there is no hot water, lol.

I had no damage to my house. I did have a shrub blow over (see below), and a lot of cleanup from downed branches (also see below). We sure take everyday things for granted, don't we?

Above: The shingles in the trash pile are from my neighbor across the street. I had no roof damage.

Above: Maybe I can get the shrub standing upright again and save it.

14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you suffered no severe damage. It's best to be in the central part of the state with these hurricanes although they also bring tornadoes and you can't hide from them! We did fine; lost power for about 24 hours, but no damage. A few trees were knocked down in our neighborhood but it was altogether uneventful except for listening to the winds during the night. I hate that! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are safe and no serious damage to your house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like good news overall for you. Glad to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pleased to see that you are fine and no significant damage to the property. Shrubs are really resistant unless you ask me to look after them.

    Are you going to Hawaii to recover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about San Diego. It's a wonderful place for an NABC, though, that's for sure.

      Delete
  5. Glad to get the update. Happy to hear only minor damage.

    The bush looks savable. Prune the foliage way back to conserve moisture while it reroots. Depends on how well you like it. You could take a look at a local plant store. I imagine prices in those will be pretty high as many will be in the market for replacements.

    Bummer on the avocado. There is a shortage of them. Around $1.50/ea in our stores. Trim the broken area away at an sharp angle to avoid rotting better.

    How'd the fantasy football draft go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like to say that KenP will always be welcome in Scottish Borders to help advise on our garden.

      Delete
    2. Well, I might be able to grow thistles. But that's about it these days.

      Delete
    3. My first pick was David Johnson who immediately injured himself and is out for at least two months. Other than that . . .

      Delete
  6. Looks like your area got it worse than mine did Mojo. Glad everything came through ok. Luckily we never lost power at my house though I had refugees here until Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to all who expressed concern. Glad things turned out no worse than they did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see it turned out mostly ok.

    ReplyDelete