Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Online bridge: the possibilities are endless

Playing online at OKbridge, I picked up:
Q 4 Q A Q J 9 5 4 3 7 5 3.
Vulnerable against not, I opened 1. Left-hand opponent bid 1 and partner bid 1. Right-hand opponent cuebid 2 and the opponents landed in 4.

My partner, Kate, led the 7. I won this and shifted to a low spade. After this start, declarer went set in 4.

As a double-dummy problem, how did he do it? [Hint: He went set two!]


J 10 8
10 8 4 2
K
A K Q 9 4
K 9 6 5 2 Q 4
J 9 Q
7 A Q J 9 5 4 3
J 10 8 6 2 7 5 3
A 7 3
A K 7 6 5 3
10 8 6 2
--



At most tables, East shifted to a spade. Declarer won this, pulled two rounds of trumps and claimed six: one spade trick, six hearts, two diamond ruffs in dummy and three clubs tricks.

At our table, the fish declarer won the spade shift and tried to ruff a diamond immediately. Kate ruffed in with the J as declarer discarded a spade and I played the Q (let's don't have an accident). Kate cashed the K and led a third round. Declarer thought and finally ruffed this with the 10. I over-ruffed and returned a diamond to allow partner to score her 9! At least declare took eight of his 12 tricks for only a four-trick compression. We had scored three trumps tricks with the doubleton J 9 opposite the stiff Q, after declarer had gained the lead!

You see all kinds of bad bridge on the Internet. Players are at home watching TV, talking on the phone, whatever and the distraction accounts for some of it. I'm glad I was playing online because I would have had trouble keeping a straight face.

Four pairs bid and made 6. Note that leading another diamond at trick two would set the slam. I'd like to think I would have found that defense if they were in six, but, heck, then we wouldn't have this great story, would we?

You can see all the results here.

The streets of America are littered with players who failed to draw trumps. I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment