Friday, July 11, 2008

Timid & cowardly or cautious & wise -- you pick

What is the most high-card points that you've ever held and not taken a bid at bridge? I think I set a personal record with this one.

I was playing online bridge with Notzia (real name is David) on Wednesday (7/9/2008) on OKbridge. On the fourth deal, it went 1 by my left-hand opponent, Pass, Pass to me. I held:

A K J 4 A K 10 6 4 2 A K 7.

Yes, friends, that's 22 high-card points. You could probably add something for the long suit, but I'm not sure that's a good idea when your left-hand opponent just bid it. I'm still don't know that it was the best thing to do, but I passed.

Notzia was probably happy I passed. He held:
J 7 4 9 6 5 3 8 J 8 6 4 2.

The 1 contract went down three for plus 300 for us, and a gain of 7.32 IMPs. There were more different contracts than Ben & Jerry have flavors of ice cream. Many players were in 3NT, 4 and 5 our direction. One pair played 6 down 1400.

You can see how they got so high and what others did by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment