Wednesday, August 13, 2008

He didn't look good enough

While looking at the hand record (from the Detroit NABC North American Pairs second qualifying session) for the deal I posted yesterday (Too much information), I noticed another interesting deal that I had almost forgotten about (hands are rotated):

A Q 8 3
Q 10 7 4 3
J 2
9 7


==
K J 8 5 2
A 6 5
K 10 7
Q 5


West North East South
2 2
3 3 All Pass

I have to admit that I was the 2 bidder. It was a little on the skimpy side, but I liked the position of my diamond honors. Okay, it was v-e-r-y skimpy. If you don't get in at the two level, what will you do over 3? I prefer to get in and get out. If they catch you speeding once in a while, that's the price you pay. I'm just sayin'.

Partner had a heavy 3 bid -- perhaps 3 would have been better, but you can't fault his 3 bid, and, in any event, we would have reached the same contract.

West cashed the A and then the K on which East discarded in a manner that showed a doubleton. West shifted to the 6. East won the to the A and continued with the Q, taken by my king.

I drew trump and when West had a doubleton, it appeared he had 2=2=2=7 distribution. I cashed the 10 and played the 5. When West ducked, I played the 10 from dummy. East won the J and he fired back the 8. I thought about it and decided that West didn't look good enough to smoothly duck the K 2. I played low and West followed with the 9 -- my endplay worked. In poker, they call that trusting your read.

Making 3 for plus 140 was a good matchpoint score. Here is the complete deal:

A Q 8 3
Q 10 7 4 3
J 2
9 7
7 4 10 6
9 2 K J 8
6 5 A Q 9 8 4 3
A K J 10 6 4 2 8 3
K J 8 5 2
A 6 5
K 10 7
Q 5

This was board 25 and you can see it on the hand record if you click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment