Thursday, September 4, 2008

Check first

Playing online bridge Wednesday night, I was declarer in 4 on this deal (hands rotated):

K J 10 5 4
8
Q 9
Q 7 6 5 2
4 9 7
K 9 6 5 3 Q 7 4 2
K J 3 A 8 7 6 5 4
9 3 10
Q 8 6
A J 10
10 2
A K J 8 4

At my table, there were three passes to me (South) and I opened 1NT. My partner, Mette, transferred to spades and made an invitational bid which I accepted. Against 4 West led the 9. I won the jack and led a low spade. West ducked, I played the J and the contract could no longer be defeated.

Today while looking at the results, I noticed that quite a few pairs defeated 4. Many of them led a club, hopped up with the ace of trumps and led a second club. I'm not sure how they knew to do that, and it certainly could have been very wrong.

I did see one pair that had a nice defense although with a different auction. West's online name was Ruth and East was ovrtrx. Here are the four hands rotated to make it easier to follow:

Q 8 6
A J 10
10 2
A K J 8 4

9 7 A 3 2
Q 7 4 2 K 9 6 5 3
A 8 7 6 5 4 K J 4
10 9 3
K J 10 5 4
8
Q 9
Q 7 6 5 2

After two passes, West opened 2. North doubled and East raised to 3. Over that, South jumped to 4.

What do you think of West's 2 bid? I don't mind it in third seat where just about anything goes. Because of this, there was information exchanged. Watch what happened.

West led the 10. Because East-West had bid and raised diamonds, this looked like a singleton. The lead was taken by the A and declarer advanced a low spade. East hopped up with her A, but instead of simply leading a club, she made the thoughtful play of cashing the K. When West discouraged, it was easy now to lead the club for the ruff. Nicely done! West cashed the A and that was down one.

Making 4 was worth 6.12 IMPs while setting it was worth 7.15 IMPs for East-West -- a big swing.

There were wacky results all over the place and you can check out the wackiness by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment