Friday, July 31, 2009

Free rolling at the table

Playing online with Kate on OKbridge, I held:
A 6 Q 9 6 5 3 A Q J 10 8 2.

The opponents were vulnerable and we were not and right-hand opponent opened 1. There is nothing wrong with bidding 2NT, but instead I bid 2. The club suit was longer and stronger. I decided that if partner didn't raise, I might be able to introduce my diamond suit into the picture later in the auction. Also, this hand is a 'tweener.' If you bid 2NT, you won't know what to do after partner bids a simple 3 or 3. Just sayin'.

LHO bid 2, partner passed, and RHO bid 4. What now? I tried 4NT which is takeout for the minors, but longer in clubs. I could be going for a number, but it's so likely they can make a vulnerable game that it's worthwhile bidding. Most of the time they take the push to 5 anyway, so our side either breaks even (it makes five) or comes out ahead (it goes down).

Partner bid 5 and, surprisingly, it passed out. West led the Q and partner gave me a great dummy:

8 5 4
5 3 2
K J 10 8
7 4 3
==
A
6
Q 9 6 5 3
A Q J 10 8 2

How would you play? One line is to play the A and another. Unless there is a singleton king, you will lose one trick in hearts, diamonds and club -- down one. That should be a good board, however, as you don't see much defense against 4 (or maybe even 5).

The other line is to lead a diamond. If they take the ace, you win any return and lead another diamond to dummy. If this isn't ruffed, you can take a club finesse and possibly make the contract.

Because we weren't doubled, I decided to try and make it. At IMPs, the difference between minus 50 and minus 100 wouldn't be much. As poker players say, I was free-rolling. Also, if the defense gets a ruff, I may break even -- the ruff may be by the hand that has K x, and, after that, the king will drop.

Following through, I led a diamond to the jack and ace. RHO cashed a heart and led another. I ruffed and led a second diamond. RHO ruffed, drat. I won the return, cashed the A (no king) and settled for down two and minus 100.

Here are all four hands (rotated):

8 5 4
5 3 2
K J 10 8
7 4 3
Q J 3 2 K 10 9 7 6
10 8 7 4 A K Q J 9
7 4 2 A
K 6 9 5
A
6
Q 9 6 5 3
A Q J 10 8 2

As you can see, the opponents make 5 (losing one spade and one club), and minus 100 was plus 8.01 IMPs for the good guys.

You can see what others did if you click here.

The same deal presented with the BBO Handviewer:

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That looks very complicated and I have no idea what I just read. That does not look like a game that I could learn to play in an afternoon. LOL!

    ReplyDelete