Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Happy birthday, pard

"Are we going to bid the birthday grand?" asked my bridge partner, Kate.

When Kate plays online, Notzia and I take turns as her partner. Whoever shows up first plays with her, and the other either kibitzes or goes off to play online poker.

Yesterday was Kate's birthday, so I arrived at OKbridge early (no use taking any chances), sorry Notzia. The question she asked meant: Hey, today is my special day, so let's do something special at the bridge table (grand slams are rare).

We didn't bid any grands, but this deal (rotated) was fun:

K
A K 5 2
Q 5 3
K 9 8 4 2
J 10 5 A 6 2
Q 10 9 6 4 J 8 7 3
6 K J 8 7 4
A J 10 3 6
Q 9 8 7 4 3
---
A 10 9 2
Q 7 5


West North East South
1 1 1
Pass 2 Pass 2
All Pass

What do you think of North's 2 rebid? I usually rebid 1NT. Some partner's don't like it, but I think it's better than rebidding a ragged five-card club suit. What do you think?

Kate led the 6. Declarer played low from dummy and won my jack with his ace. He led a spade to the king, I took my ace and the birthday party fun started.

I played the K and another which Kate ruffed. She led the A and another which I ruffed. I continued with another diamond and Kate ruffed again. Whee! Are we having fun yet? She led a third round of clubs and I ruffed for down two.

Our score of plus 200 was good for plus 3.12 IMPs. You can see all the scores here.

Sorry, it wasn't a grand pard, but Happy Birthday anyway -- you're the best!

Here is the same deal with the Bridge Base Online Handviewer:

No comments:

Post a Comment