Sunday, February 5, 2012

Let there be light


Above: St. Augustine was the site of the first lighthouse in Florida that was established by the U.S. government.

St. Augustine Lighthouse and Museum is a must-see for anyone touring that area of Florida. There were precursors, but the present structure was built in 1874 and is 165 feet tall.

Lighthouse keepers used oil to fuel the fire to make the light. I'm glad I don't have to schlep the buckets to the top. Poker players may remember Cardgrrl. She is presently in St. Augustine and you can see what one of the oil buckets looks like if you go to her new blog: Something Beautiful. While you're at it, check out the rest of her images and narratives.

You can read what Wikipedia says about the lighthouse if you click here.


Above: I like to think I'm fit, but I was huffing and puffing by the time I climbed to the top of the lighthouse.


Above: This is a view of the St. Augustine harbor from the lighthouse on Anastasia Island.


Above: There was a mirror in a garden that afforded an interesting photo op of the shooter and the lighthouse.

Photos taken with my Canon 40D. New masthead is the Bridge of Lions in St. Augustine FL.

4 comments:

  1. @Rakewell: I was there Tuesday through Friday Jan 24-27. I think Cardgrrl came the next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super post, MOJO! We've taken a number of photos of the lighthouse but never went inside. You are quite creative!

    We went to a souper bowl party the other night. Is that like a Super Bowl?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out MOJO! I like your pictures!

    ReplyDelete