Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Poker pearl #68


Ante Up magazine has a section that I like titled "Call The Floor." Here's a situation described in the November issue:

At a monthly no-limit tournament, a few guys limped, the small blind (with K-K) raised five times the big blind. Everyone folded but the guy on the button. The flop came 10-6-3. The small blind bet and the button went all-in. After tanking for a few minutes, the small blind called.

The button said, "you got me," and didn't show his cards, though they were still in fron of him.

The small blind threw his cards into the muck face down.

The button said, "You mucked, I win."

The small blind said, "You conceded; I win," and turned over the K-K from the muck.

Who's right?

What do you think? I'll give the answer from the magazine after readers say in the comments section what they believe should happen.

UPDATE: I've given the "answer" from the magazine. See comments.

9 comments:

  1. The ruling hinges on whether the house enforces a particular rule; no player shall induce the other to action by mis-representing the strength of his hand.

    In this case, the button mis-called his hand purposefully to induce the small blind to fold. If the house doesn't see this as a problem, then the small blind is the winner of the hand.

    If this *is* an enforceable rule, then the small blind is entitled to have the dealer retrieve his cards from the muck, provided they are easily identifiable. If they're not identifiable, he's out of luck.

    Bottom line is, "You got me" is not the same as "I Fold", though it's clearly an angle shot. It comes down to whether or not the house recognizes the rule of inducing a player to fold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "In this case, the button mis-called his hand purposefully to induce the small blind to fold. If the house doesn't see this as a problem, then the small blind is the winner of the hand."

    I meant the BUTTON is the winner of the hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given the data, SB's hand touched the muck. Therefore, SB's hand is ruled dead and BTN is awarded the pot. It is SB's job to show the winning hand regardless whether BTN concedes the pot. SB needs immediately show his/her hand and win the pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Button wins. His comment isn't a verbal declaration of a fold.

    Small blind should learn to hold his cards until the chips are pushed in his direction by the dealer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Typical angle shot. My cards don't hit the muck until the chips are pushed to me or the dealer declares me the winner. Unfortunately the decision will be up to the floor's interpretation of "You got me". I'd bet half the time they decide for the button and half for the small blind depending on the poker room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've noticed and probably mentioned before that poker has its own language - words like "blind," "muck," and "fold."

    That's not a bad thing, but I'm having a hard enough time with my regular English. I think I'll stick with UNO. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You readers are too smart. The TD who answered said the pot would go to the button EVERY TIME -- slam dunk.

    There's a lesson for the blind to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had this happen to me on more than once... I always keep two fingers on my cards til i see the pot coming my.. response you muck and I'll show

    ReplyDelete