Sunday, April 20, 2014

Snippets from the poker table

I played some poker this weekend at the Horseshoe Tunica. Friday, I met friends for dinner, then played poker. It was $1/3 nolimit and I basically broke even. Saturday, I played nolimit again (at first) and lost $110 before moving to the Omaha-8 game where I won that back and again broke even for the night. I was up a ton, before dribbling it back -- it's a high variance game, for sure. Omaha high-low is the one game I enjoy even if I lose.

This happened at my friend's table. He raised preflop (with a big pair) and was called by two others. Flop came 10-8-4 rainbow. My friend bet and got one caller. The turn was a 5 and the villain shoved for about $55 into a pot of about $105. My buddy asked him had he really called on the flop with a gut shot? The villain nodded yes, so my friend folded and the villain showed his 7-6 for the straight! Why would you even answer the question? I'm not sure why my friend believed him, but he saved $55.

Then this, also at my friend's table. The blind were $3/1, and a villain raised to $100. Everyone folded and he picked up $4 in blinds. There's no hand where this makes sense, but what do you think he had?

8 comments:

  1. A poker post from Mojo - I'm pinching myself to make sure it's real! ;) I have no idea why that guy answers that question (or calls the gutshot, or bets immediately when he sucks out)... :P That raising from 3 to 100 is the sort of complicated play that I see on the free poker at MSN all the time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen two scenarios where people raise like that: 1) They have a vunerable hand like 10-10 and they are content to just get the blinds; 2) They have A-A and are so paranoia about getting beat that they would rather win the blinds than lose with the hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true, lightning. i am thinking jacks or aces.scared poker as its finest. HAPPY 420/EASTER

      Delete
  3. I've found that when most people answer that kind of question, they answer truthfully. I think it's along the lines of the fact that it's easier to tell the truth than tell a lie.

    For the $100 raise, I never understand people doing that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. He definitely had KK and reads Rob's blog. Obvious that he can only stand one marathon encounter a day and that, evidently, is Rob's magnum opus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I have to add it was a double gutter which gave him about a 25% chance -- post flop. Your friend didn't say but it looked like a rich family pot. If there was a flush possibility on flop, the bet makes sense. He was short stacked and that was the most he could do to limit a flush chaser. It reminds me a bit of Fuel55. He loved plays like the evil guy made early. Lightning (non-36 version) in a bottle.

    And, maybe it wasn't KK. If it had been and it references Rob, your friend would have had AA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello MoJo, I am GolfPro and mostly play at Live in MD.

    When I read your post, I remembered one hand that happened a few days back that was similar to your story:

    A Crazy Asian and an American at the table. American was a short stack. It was a 6 way limped pot in a 1/2 game. Pot: 12

    F: A9J, Crazy Asian bet 15, two people call (one of them is the SS American). Pot: 42
    T: 8, Crazy Asian bets 25, American shoves AI for 95 total. Pot: 67 before shove, and 137 before the call.

    Crazy Asian takes forever tanking about the call. American turns over his hand after waiting forever and says "I know you have an A, this might help you to decide faster!". He shows J8os for a turned two pair.

    Crazy Asian tanks some more, the table is stunned at the turn of events. Finally Crazy Asian says "how much more for me?". Dealer informs $70. Crazy Asian says I call I still have outs. The table is stunned once again!

    He turns over A5os and scoops the pot when the river falls a 9.

    First off whatever the American did was stupid, but, even then how does anyone call the 70 knowing they are behind with one card to come.

    No wonder he is called the Crazy Asian, he informs the table "There are many cards that would give me the pot, another A, 9 or a 5, lot of outs!"

    GolfPro

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know a guy who plays JJ like that every time. He always massively over bets preflop because he's scared to death of them. Then, when everyone folds, he turns them over and says that old joke about jacks, "there's three ways to play jacks. all of them wrong."

    ReplyDelete